It’s All In Your Jeans…
A consistent staple in all wardrobes, denim is one trend that has transcended through the decades, it has defined outfits and dominated fashion’s silhouette by being both practical and the peak of fashion. There was a time when a decade could be identified simply by the denim and the style of the jean, such as Levi 501s that carried through the mid eighties or the skinny jean revolution made famous by Kate Moss over five years ago.
Jeans have become a crucial part of our wardrobes, not only a supporting aspect of the outfit but the pinnacle of the outfit itself; they exist above waning trends and are a constant force on the runways from season to season. They mark the transient shifts and are an ultimate projection of our personality, which is why the summer key denim looks are so incredibly diverse.
Denim has always been a celebrity favourite, from skinny colour blocked jeans to the skinny crop; a nod to Fifties capri pants revived by Georgia May Jagger. My personal favourite is the beaten, super slouch jean – able to be worn with casual converse or a rolled up hem and boyish flats such as brouges – a look also favoured by Kate Bosworth:
From high waisted flares in deep indigo to the skinny colour pop jeans, this season denim is all about wearing your personality on the outside. Zesty, tropical colours are packing an optical punch and pastels are among some of this seasons most wanted denims. From bohemian chic to Seventies nostalgia, denim is still the mightiest fabric around.
Denim Luxe on The Runway
The catwalks were awash with denim, notably Isabel Marant showcasing her pink skinnies; a highly coveted jean that sold out as soon as they hit boutiques. Celine was working her signature oversized style in denim tunics, Stella McCartney kept a minimal vibe around her denim and Balmain was working a laid back punk look.
How to Be a True Blue:
- There is a jean to suit every size and shape. Invest time in buying a well fitted, statement pair of jeans that will you see through the seasons.
- Utilise beaten slouchy denims with a lazy knit jumper to nail an effortless geek chic look.
- Take a tip from Balmain and team your denims with slouchy vests, leather jackets and punk accessories to channel a biker grunge look.
- Skinny crops are huge this season, so look out for girly pumps for a daytime look and skyscraper stilettos to take you through to the night.
- Flares are a great jean for all sizes. If you are bottom heavy, keep the denim dark in a wash like indigo; if you are a little more confident, try a lighter stone wash denim.
- Look out for block heels or wedges in tan. They pair well with wedges and give a discreet nod to the seventies trend.
- If you’re braving denim hotpants this year, keep your top half casual and fashion forward in a plain white slouchy tee.
- Coloured denim has provided jeans with a zingy lease of life. Team coloured denim with a block coloured tee to work the colour blocking trend or a plain vest for a laid back look.