Even when the sun refuses to come out and play, this summer you can assure you will still glisten. You see fashion has been painted with a gilt brush; anything metallic is de rigueur. So, when 40 odd years ago everyone dreamed of the space age, silver suits, plastic fantastic, technological fashion – they weren’t far off. The future is here and this summer you need to sparkle and shine in silvers, golds, sequins and iridescent finishes. Be it clothing, shoes or accessories, you can light up your wardrobe with these must have buys.
On The Runways
Now, we know the SS11 trends are split between minimal and luxe, but it was the use of metallics that united many. Miu Miu saluted all things Hollywood with a brash collection of star-spangled prints, combining jewel tones with the glare of metallic leather. Christopher Bailey’s motorcycle beauties at Burberry Prorsum strutted in metallic biker jackets and leather leggings. The futuristic couture collection at Armani Prive, delighted the eyes with liquid metal contoured pieces in rich shades of teal, black and red. While at Elie Saab tiny pastel sequins gave the metallic look a romantic edge:
How To Wear
Whether your taste is sporty or glamorous, you can still be a lustrous metal queen, with these easy tips:
- Get yourself a head turning metallic dress, it will see you through summer and all those winter parties.
- Cute metallic shorts will stand out on the festival fields.
- If you’re doing this look head to toe, keep your accessories simple. You don’t want people to have to wear sunglasses to look at you.
- Metallic bottoms have a cool grunge look when paired with a graphic t-shirt.
- Go for subtle metallic finishes for the office worn with classic black or grey.
- Pump up the volume when you wear studio 54-esque liquid metallics… that’s big hair, bright lips and big shoes.
- Tentative steps are best made in metallic shoes and accessories, they add some sparkle to your daytime look.
- Pair with bright prints for an exotic traveller look.